THE IMPORTANCE OF CLEANING TO YOUR BUSINESS
Cleaning is the act of removing unwanted substances, like dirt, infectious agents, and general impurities, from an object, place or environment. Cleaning occurs in many different contexts and uses many different methods. Cleanliness is both the abstract state of being clean and free from dirt and the habit of achieving and maintaining that state. Cleanliness, as the name implies, is achieved through cleaning. Cleanliness may imply a moral quality, as indicated by the aphorism: “cleanliness is next to godliness”. In emphasizing an on-going procedure or set of habits for maintenance and prevention, the concept of cleanliness differs from purity, which is a physical, moral, or ritual state of freedom from pollutants. Whereas purity is usually a quality of an individual or substance, cleanliness has a social dimension or implies a system of interactions. A household or workplace may be said to exhibit cleanliness, but not ordinarily purity; cleanliness also would be a characteristic of the people who maintain cleanness or prevent dirtying. On a practical level, cleanliness is thus related to hygiene and disease prevention.
THE IMPORTANCE OF A CLEAN WORKPLACE
The workplace environment influences employees’ productivity, performance and well-being. No matter the industry, maintaining a clean workplace may help keep staff members safe, healthy and efficient. However, busy production schedules and increasing workloads may cause standards to dip.
Cleanliness can impact business results as it creates the first impression for both clients and employees. Businesses should encourage employees to ensure office spaces are clean and tidy so that they may be more effective in their work. More importantly, potential customers and clients should not want to walk in on a dirty business. It turns people off and could force a customer to take their business elsewhere. So, first impressions mean a lot.
During flu season, germs can spread quickly around the workplace if supervisors and workers don’t adequately sanitize their hands and environments. Commonly used spaces, such as restrooms, can be hot spots for germs to accumulate. According to Kimberly-Clark, break rooms have been found to have approximately 20,951 bacteria per square inch. Parts of the break room that tend to be touched the most, such as doorknobs, microwave oven handles and sinks, can be ripe with germs.
Another common health hazard of unclean workplaces is the germination of mould. According to Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), mould can cause adverse health effects for employees who are exposed to mould spores. Mould is a fungus that can release millions of spores into the air and can cause respiratory illnesses. Because of this, OSHA has strict standards employers are asked to follow to prevent the growth of mould in the workplace. According to OSHA, mould germination occurs in warm and humid conditions, making it essential that employers regularly clean worksite facilities, to reduce the chance of mould growth. Employers may also want to refix or clean indoor air filtration systems frequently to ensure any mould spores that are released into the air don’t reach workers.
As a result, a messy or unhygienic workplace may influence worker productivity. If employees receive an injury or illness at work, they may not be able to perform their tasks as well as when they were healthy.
IMPACT OF A CLEAN WORKPLACE ON BUSINESS PRODUCTIVITY
- The benefits of commercial office cleaning start with improving employee health. This begins by reducing the number of time workers are out sick. The surfaces of an office can be contaminated quickly without regular, thorough cleaning. For example, the average office keyboard has roughly 7,500 bacteria on it.
- Another health benefit of keeping your workplace clean is that it lowers stress levels. When desks and other work areas start to get disorganized, it can naturally make people feel a little frazzled. If the clutter is not dealt with, over time, it will lead to a big increase in employee stress. Stress can lead to many health issues, including depression, fatigue, sleep trouble, stomach issues and drug abuse. Keeping offices clean at all times helps to reduce the stress that is floating around the workplace.
- Another health issue caused by dirty workplaces is their role in triggering allergies. When filth is left to accumulate in space, it dramatically increases the amount of dust and allergens in the air. This can lead to dry eyes, scratchy throats and other allergic reactions. It can also cause asthma attacks. All of these will significantly reduce worker productivity.
- One of the essential factors in office productivity is employee morale. If the morale level in an office goes down, productivity will inevitably decline. To prevent this, you should take pride in your workspace by keeping it clean. When your desk and office are organized and clean, it makes you feel right about where you work. This good feeling is something that you will share with your co-workers and customers.
- If your business is in a service industry, including the hospitality industry, maintaining clean workplace helps put customers at ease with the rest of your operations. Customers encountering unclean restrooms can develop negative images about your business and may come to distrust your company in other areas. This can mean customers scrutinize your services more closely, and may be more likely to argue about service, quality or charges.
- A clean workplace can lead to happier customers, which reduces overall complaints against your business. Clean facilities show your company’s dedication to all phases of the customer service experience. Customers appreciate these efforts and can reward your business with encouraging reviews that generate interest within the local community.
WHY WE SHOULD KEEP OUR WORKPLACE CLEAN
- To prevent slips and falls. Keep your floors dry by using absorbent materials, such as floor mats, in functional locations to remove moisture and soil from shoes.
- Germs spread easily during flu season but using disinfectants prevent the spread of germs and illness, including the flu.
- Specks of dust and vapours are hazardous substances that can create an unsafe workplace. Therefore, proper air filtration lowers exposure to dangerous substances.
- Allowing trash to pile up not only causes clutter but also encourage breeding ground for pests that pose a threat to your workplace. Proper disposal of waste and recyclable materials keeps work areas clutter-free.
In conclusion, if you are feeling overwhelmed by how you can achieve all of these for your organisation, my advice is that you should hire a Professional London Office Cleaning Company. These Guys have years of experience and expertise to do exactly that.
Source: Article originally published at Office Cleaning Company London